Saturday 3 August 2013

Saint George, Joseph and Paul


In my previous post I had Saint's Francis, Patrick, Jude and Anthony. My final group of male's are here. In the 1980's there was a traveling Icon exhibit called Holy Image,Holy Space Icons and Frescoes from Greece. What was surprising to me was the number of Icons of St. George. The commentary attributed this to  the soldier status of this saint, how that vocation caught the devotion of the centuries when men were going off to war with horses and spears. Interestingly, also in the 1980's one of Americas great Troubadour's, songwriter Paul Simon choose to put an Icon of St. George on his best selling recording "Graceland". As I have a good number of visitor's to my posts from Russia I acknowledge that you have a particular devotion to St. George, Patron saint of your country. St. Joseph is the Patron saint of my country, Canada. St. Paul came to be from a commission by a friend who during the 'Year of St. Paul' wanted to honor the contribution of this saint to our history.





St. George slaying the dragon
5 x 6
Acrylic on wood

St. Joseph and Christ child
5 x 6
Acrylic on wood
St. Paul
5 x 6
Acrylic on wood

No comments:

Post a Comment